Current Events, March 22-24 provided by Matt Anderson Properties
Charleston, South Carolina has more to offer visitors and residents than horse tours downtown and beautiful beaches. Charleston is also home to a thriving events calendar, which has more festivals, races, and shows than anyone could pack into a single weekend. Friday, March 22 through Sunday, March 24 is crammed with events that will satisfy a wide range of interests, so get ready for a fun weekend.
If you’re looking for last minute plans tonight (3/22), meet the Lee Brothers at the signing of their newest book, Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen, which will be held this evening at the Preservation Society of Charleston gift shop at 147 King Street. The event will run from 5:30-7:00 PM, and is free to the public.
Saturday offers a variety of events, both indoors and out:
- If you’re ready to begin your Easter celebrations, join the fun at the Charleston Museum’s Easter Egg-stravaganza from 10 AM to noon. For the first hour, you and your little Easter bunny can decorate baskets and glitter eggs before beginning the egg hunt at 11 AM. Free for museum members, $10 for adults, $5 children over 3.
- Bulls Bay has planned an outdoor festival with fun for the entire family. The Bulls Bay Nature Festival offers fishing events, barrier island walks, kayak and canoe tours, bird and wolf demonstrations, and more, all set to music provided by the Awendaw Green.
- Prepare to be color bombed at the Color Me Rad 5K race at the Exchange Park Saturday morning. Online registration is no longer available, but you can still get in on the fun by registering at packet pick-up or on race day.
- End your Saturday with Charleston’s most fashion-forward people, as you help celebrate the closing of Charleston Fashion Week. The Ice After-Party begins at 10 PM at 35 Woolfe Street, and the ticket price (starting at $75) includes an open bar and DJ.
Sunday’s events include:
- Customer Appreciation Day at the Charleston County Parks. This free event includes open admission to most of the Charleston County Parks, as well as family-friendly activities from 12-4 PM. Bring your fishing gear to take advantage of the free fishing at the Folly Beach and Mount Pleasant Piers.
- The CSO Gospel Choir shares its newest production, “Wind and Mockingbird: the Story of How Written Word Changed Society.” The show will begin at 5 PM, and tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for students or seniors.
There are two events that run throughout the weekend: the Charleston Ballet Theatre’s production of The Wizard of Oz, and the Historic Charleston Foundation’s 10th Annual Antiques Show. The Wizard of Oz has two Saturday performances at 2 PM and 5 PM, as well as a Sunday matinee at 2 PM. All performances will be held in the Sotille Theatre downtown, and are ninety minutes long. The Antiques Show at Memminger Auditorium runs all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday; aside from viewing over thirty booths of the nation’s best antiques, you can also attend lectures and classes on antiquing or take a private, guided tour of the show.
Websites for all events mentioned above:
“Bulls Bay Nature Festival: From the Forest to the Sea.” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. http://www.fws.gov/seweecenter/festival.html
“Charleston Antiques Show.” Historic Charleston Foundation. https://www.historiccharleston.org/Events/Charleston-Antiques-Show.aspx
“Charleston Ballet Theatre Presents Wizard of Oz.” Charleston Visitors’ Bureau. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/events_news/charleston-events/charleston_ballet_theatre_presents_i_the_wizard_of_oz_i_-8244?search=&endDate=03/31/2013&startDate=03/01/2013
“Charleston Museum Easter Eggstravaganza.” Charleston Museum. http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/event.asp?ID=521
“Color Me Rad 5K.” Charleston Color Me Rad Race. http://www.colormerad.com/race.i?raceid=90&t=Charleston,_SC
“CSO Gospel Choir: Wind and Mockingbird.” CSO Gospel Choir. http://csogospel.com/buy-tickets/
“Customer Appreciation Day.” Charleston County Parks and Recreation Commission. http://www.ccprc.com/Calendar.aspx?EID=1618
“Ice After-Party.” Charleston Magazine: Charleston Fashion Week. http://charlestonmag.com/fashionweektickets/finale
“The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen Book Signing.” Charleston Visitors’ Bureau. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/events_news/charleston-events/the_lee_bros_charleston_kitchen_book_signing-8185?search=&endDate=03/31/2013&startDate=03/01/2013