Christmas is less than a week away and there is plenty of holiday cheer in the air. Here’s the holiday happenings going on in Charleston this weekend!
Friday, December 20
- Holiday Festival of Lights If you haven’t gotten a chance to check out this giant display of over 2 million lights at the James Island County Park, now is your chance. The annual festival, now in its 24th year, will be running through December 31st and features everything from a giant Christmas light replica of the Ravenel Bridge to the 10,000 light Oak tree, to flamingos, to Santa’s reindeer. In addition to the light tour, there will be treats for the kids from Santa’s Sweet Shoppe and a display of handmade gingerbread houses. It’s $15 for admission and if you bring a non-perishable food item you’ll get $5 off!
- Grand Illumination at Middleton Place During the Christmas of 1782 Arthur Middelton was released from prison as the British retreated from Charleston during the Revolutionary War. This joyous time is echoed today through the Illumination of Middelton Place. Tour some of America’s oldest landscaped gardens illuminated only by torch and candlelight as costumed guides tell stories of this festive time. There will be live music and refreshments followed by a Southern style buffet. The event will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are $55 per person.
Saturday, December 21
- The Night Before Christmas Concert This classic kids series will feature your favorite holiday songs to sing along to in this special holiday event. There will be performances by guest dancers from the Ballet Academy of Charleston as well as guest actors from the Actors Theatre of South Carolina that will bring these holiday stories to life. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children and will be held at the Sottile Theatre at 1 p.m.
- Stingrays vs. Gladiators Come out to support the home team this Saturday! Drink some beer and cheer on the Stingrays as they battle the Gwinnet Gladiators at the North Charleston Coliseum. The opening face off starts at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are $13-$28.
- A Christmas Carole Presented by The Village Rep 2 and Stage Series, this Charles Dickens classic tale is reenacted by the Village Rep ensemble and features some of the best performers to come to Charleston. Don’t miss this show as it will sell out quickly! The show will be held at the Woolfe Street Playhouse at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15-$30.
- Sandlapper Water Tours Holiday Boat Cruise Enjoy a sunset boat cruise through Charleston while enjoying hot chocolate and cookies. Learn about the Southern holiday traditions from a historical point of view while taking in the beautiful sites of the Charleston harbor. A cash bar will available on the boat. Boarding begins at 5 p.m. Tickets are $20 for children and $30 for adults.
Sunday, December 22
- 4th Sunday on King Street Shop, dine, and enjoy live music on historic King Street as 2nd Sunday has been extended! Browse Charleston’s award winning restaurants and shops free of traffic as King Street is blocked off for pedestrian use only. This event draws thousands of locals and visitors alike and continues to be one of the most successful, regular events on the Charleston peninsula. 4th Sunday starts at 1 p.m. and ends at 5 p.m.
- Mythbusters: Behind the Myths Join Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, hosts of the Emmy-nominated Discovery show, for a live event which will include on stage experiments, audience participation, and some far out video. They will also share behind-the-scenes stories and secrets of their craziest experiments. Fans will also assist in some experiments for a unique hands-on experience. This event will be held at the North Charleston Coliseum at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for this event can be purchased at Ticketmaster here.