Christmas is in the air here in Charleston! Get in the holiday mood with some of these fun happenings around the Lowcountry this weekend.
Friday, December 13th
- Holiday Pops will be performed by the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, the CSO Chorus, and the Charleston Children’s Chorus. Come hear all of your holiday favorites reimagined for this stunning concert (held Friday, December 13). The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. at the Sotille Theatre, 44 George Street downtown. Tickets begin at $24/ adult, and are $20 with valid student ID. Call 843.723.7528 (ext. 11) or visit their website to order tickets.
- Jump aboard the Carolina Queen for a Holiday Dinner Cruise! The cruise will include a gourmet holiday dinner, a two hour scenic harbor cruise, and live music. Boarding starts at 6:30 p.m. and will return at 9 p.m. Visit Charleston Harbor Tours to reserve your tickets today!
- The Fifth Annual King Street Walk promises fun, food, and shopping for all involved. Grab your passport ($15 in advance, and $20 at the door) from the Charleston Place Hotel starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday, December 13, and then head out to King Street where more than sixty retailers are providing door prizes, cocktails, appetizers, and store discounts for passport holders. All proceeds go towards the Center for Women.
- Visit historic 82 Queen restaurant for their Oyster and Bubbles Cocktail Reception which features four courses of oyster inspired cuisine and Champagne by Frederick Wildman & Sons LTD. The event will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets are $59 per person.Call for reservations!
Saturday, December 14th
- The 36th Annual Kiawah Island Marathon will help you burn off some of those calories from the company Christmas party! Run through the beautiful resort and see such Kiawah landmarks as the Ocean Course and the Sanctuary. This race is a qualifying race for the Boston Marathon. Half-marathon registration also available. Race begins Saturday, December 14 at the Sanctuary hotel at 8:00 a.m. Register online.
- Get in the Christmas spirit this weekend and checkout the Folly Beach Christmas Parade. The parade will be held at 1 p.m. on Center Street on Folly Beach. Get there early to get a good spot! This event is free. More information can be found at Visit Folly.
- The 2nd Annual Gingerbread decorating contest and holiday festival at Fuel Cantina downtown will have something for every member of the family. Celebrate the Christmas season with face painting, live music, a Gingerbread House contest, Santa visits, and drink specials for the grownups! Festivities start at 1 p.m. 10$ gets you into the Gingerbread House contest. Checkout Fuel’s website for more information Fuel.
- Phil Kline’s Unsilent Night is a unique caroling event that will take place downtown at the City Gallery at Waterfront Park. Participants are encouraged to bring an Ipod with speakers, boomboxes, or any media playing device to the event and you’ll receive a CD, tape or digital download of one of the four parts of the piece. Once everyone has gathered, participants will push play at the same time creating a caroling group that will roam the streets of Charleston. The event is free and takes place at 5 p.m.
Sunday, December 15th
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol is a seasonal favorite for young and old alike. Two different playhouses are presenting their adaptations of the Victorian novel. The Footlight Players’ musical take on Dickens will be held December 13 and 14 at 8:00 p.m. and December 15 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are $25/ adult, $22/ seniors, $15/ student, and $12 for children 12 and under. Purchase tickets and view additional show times at www.footlightplayers.net. The playhouse is located at 20 Queen Street downtown. The Woolfe Street Playhouse will also offer up a minimalistic version of Scrooge and the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future which only uses eight actors. Shows held on December 13 and 14 at 7:00 p.m. and December 15 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are $30/ adult, $27/ seniors, $20/ students, and $15/ children 12 and under. Purchase tickets and view additional show times here.